12.05.2010

I'll Take That: Bridge Fence

Marion Owen's Letter to the Editor last week struck me as strange as she recommended the "suicide" fence on the Fred Zharoff Bridge be removed so she can take pretty pictures of Barometer or who knows what. Listen, we Alaskans do only two things better than anyone: drinking and suicide. Let's keep the latter as difficult as we can at least until South Dakota passes up in the rankings.

I really don't think DOT is going to remove a fence next to a walkway with a 100-foot plus drop and nor should they. And legally I bet that can't. Code schmidt. There is no fence on the other side because there is no walkway on that side but perhaps her letter will inspired the state to put one on that side. As unlikely as it is to be blown off the bridge there is always some punk arse who'd want to walk atop the concrete barrier if the fence was removed and sooner or later slip and splatter on the roof of the chowder house. Or maybe some hippy would be sitting on it eating Humboldt brownies and go full humpty dumpty. Yes, gnarly, Mr. Spicoli. Maybe the gov'ment could open those lil window holes in the fence so Mrs. Owen can photograph sea lion porn or stalk harbor personnel on Pier 1. Maybe Homeland Security should find out what she's up to with her DSLR. I'm concerned.

If I were going to improve the bridge I'd add lights to it and maybe paint it something other than grey. It looks like the city stuck a battleship across from Rezanof to Near Island. Maybe not pink like Terry Haines' iPod but something to give it some color at night and add unique personality to the view. The wind turbines are hogging all the attention. Or maybe we can write WELOME TO SELDOVIA on it in eight foot letters.


So why is there no link to her letter? Well, the Mirror hasn't undated the Opinion section of their website since late April. What up, Clarkston? There's a rumor going around that the website may undergo some changes that may not be very popular with the public although it is so sparse already I can't imagine what that'd be.

Oh, and can we fry these assholes?

Blog Archive