9.16.2007

Orpheum Update: Adam and Kevin

“I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry” finally made it here (In theaters July 20th/In Kodiak September 7th) and I caught it on the last night in town. I had a general understanding of the plot going in from the ads but I was curious (pause) to see how they fit it into the regular formula for an Adam Sandler flick. I know there are those in the gay community who weren’t exactly thrilled about the former SNL star marrying The King of Queens but I never read the posts about it because I didn’t want to know what was going to happen. I figured it was because they use the word fag a lot. Now I can kind of see how gay came to mean homosexual but I’m clueless as to the origin of the word fag. In England a fag is a cigarette but I can’t connect the dots as to how a smoke became the same sex N-word.

The film also stars Maxim regular Jessica Biel who of course can make women gay and give dead men oak. Biel or Alba, Biel or Alba, usually the last decision I make every night. Rob Schneider makes a cameo appearance in the film as well and was in my opinion the most offensive character in the movie by far… playing a Canadian too. After reading a few other reviews I wasn’t the only one who wasn’t impressed with his wedding chapel act. In fact he was so bad I didn’t even know it was him. Aside from that I laughed a lot and it was the classic case of a movie being better than I thought it would going in. I’ve always underrated Kevin James’ comedy skills but I shall no more. Hitch wasn't a fluke. Oh no, I just admitted I saw Hitch. Damnit.

Steve Buscemi has a role too. I thought Goldolfini killed him a few years ago with a shotgun on the porch. Good to see he’s still alive and kickin’.

So after seeing Chuck and Larry (why not Larry and Chuck?) I’d say our rainbow flag flying brothers and sisters were probably turned off by the portrayal of a homosexual “lifestyle” as a choice people make. OK, maybe the movie didn't quite say that but I'm trying to get ranting. Science has pretty well narrowed it down that homosexuality is a naturally occurring phenomena that is often found in mammals when there are instances of overpopulation. Its Ma Nature’s way of slowing growth and as we hover around seven billion people on Earf. I expect this to be even more common in the future. Yes, there may be a small minority within the minority who in fact are not programmed gay at a DNA level and “choose” to be homosexual although I would argue they have a mental condition of some kind or are in a federal corrections facility for a while.

Our sexually, our hormones are so strong I can’t believe people would be gay unless it was literally in their blood. People don't choose to be gay, it chooses them. Perhaps we could use Jessica A&B to separate the fakers from the reals as no hetero-born man can resist them.

For a long time I’ve kind of watched the gay community in America and how others react to them. Partly because I’ve had a few friends that were gay in the last five years or so and partly because people think I’m gay because I’m single. Single in Kodiak. How does that work? One day someone will say “Yeah, sure hard to find the right girl in a small town, ain’t it,” and then the exact same person a few days later will ask me if I am gay. Again, how does that work? There have even been a few instances where I sensed someone was being prejudice to me because they really thought I am a homosexual. I’m sure the Miata, the techno program on PUBLIC radio, and the shaved head haven’t been kind to my hetero street rep but for the record I’m not gay, (or even metro) just hot.

The issue Chuck and Larry brought up again for me is marriage. There is a joke that gay people should be able to marry so they can be as miserable as everyone else but taking that a step further, if everyone (in the United States everyone means 51%) is miserable then shouldn’t marriage be banned? You can add this to the Reasons People Think Nick is Gay: I think marriage is outdated, unfair, and even wrong.

(This means I'll be married by March)

President Lincoln, our 1st gay president, ended slavery in America over 150 years ago so why are people still able to be legally bound together? Why are married people taxed differently? Why do you need a government stamp for eternal love? Why do folks in a state-sanctioned relationship to get an advantage for gaining decent medical coverage? And why is marriage forever? Can we get five year contracts like the NFL?


I’m going from Orpheum Update to ROXSOAPBOX so I’d better stop here but I pronounce Chuck and Larry worthy of yer Netflix list, should be out on DVD soon. That's SUPER!

Blog Archive