9.16.2007

UNEXCLUSIVE: Mayor's Race 2007


The OFFICIAL ELECTION PAMPHLET (city edition) showed up in my mailbox Friday and for once I don't have to fear opening it, see myself, then worry for a month about Molotov Cocktails being hurled at The Alderwood Penthouse I call home. Although the 1000 reasons I have for not running this year are still in place I kind of regret not getting in this year after reading the candidate flyer.

Carolyn Herbert Walker Floyd (will she pull us out of Near Island?) added a few words to her statement but it is for the most part the same blah blah blah. I've pointed out before that she used the EXACT same statement in the guide in 2003 and 2005. Word for word. So at least she tweeked it but of course there are no clear ideas, goals or direction, just Kodiak is nice. Zzzzzzzz.

The challenger who will probably claim my title as mayor runner-up is Dave A. Van Mun a.k.a. The Dutchman (not to be confused with Wolfboy CK-1, the Irish Assassin). He's been on a Rock for only 18 months and did not state his education. Including council seats, I noticed Floyd is the only person running with a four-year degree, for what that is worth.

Judging from Van Mun's picture he could very well have been an extra in the movie reviewed below. What's with the bandanna around the neck? Looks like Van Driver with Candy Man. Yikes! But not all people who run for mayor can be an international male supermodel so I should cut the man some slack. Hell, I'll probably vote for him. And he actually states what he'd like to accomplish: "find best location for post office and library" for example. With the recent fallout over her tiebreaking vote on the police station location I'm setting the over/under line for Dave at 230 votes (that's about twice what I had in '05). In a side note, Jerome Selby is starting to look like Mike Holmgren. Page 8 of the Borough election pamphlet if you don't believe me.

I'm glad he jumped in at the last minute instead of all these f-tards on Unplugged every Wednesday whining about Linda Freed and the roads. I don't think any of the callers could do her job. In fact I know they couldn't and they need to quit calling for her head until they are willing to offer their own. Plus on alternating Fridays she comes on the air and most of the critics disappear like roaches when the kitchen light is switched on. Wednesday comes and they bitch all over again about questions she already answered.

And when did we become such pucking fussys in this town that we get all bent out of shape over 100 yards of torn up street downtown and TWO potholes on Selief. Yes, two potholes. Those two potholes should get a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame because they are so popular on Hotline. Bloody hell. Somebody put some big heavy rocks in them and they aren't near as jarring now for the people who for some reason can't avoid hitting them. If you can't operate a car and miss both potholes you probably shouldn't be behind the wheel.

As for the construction downtown, most folks have a truck or SUV yet they act as if these vehicles are made of fine china. I don't care if it stays tore up all winter if the other choice is to pave it "temporarily" which I take to mean the city pays for asphalt then tear it up again to finish whatever and then repave it. Sounds expensive to me. I really shouldn't comment because I don't know the real plan but that doesn't stop anybody else from blabbing. I'm Alaskan and not bothered by a little gravel road for a while.

Buck up, Kodiak.


One more thing. There is a rumor I have been sleeping with Bill Allen to get two more floors added to my townhouse and raise money for Mayor Sandin 2009. This is untrue.

I have been sleeping with Paul Allen. Figuratively, of course.

Blog Archive