4.05.2011

Orpheum Update In Absentia: I Am




What if the hippies were right and they could prove it scientifically? That's what I got from this film, I Am. The tone was set by a trailer for the movie Forks Over Knives and this one which I don't care to type out.

Another way to describe this film is it is the complete opposite of Sucker Punch.

It is hard to believe this movie was made by the same mutterphutter who made Ace Venture, The Nutty Professor, and that one where the 40 Year Old Virgin turns into Noah. In fact, I really knew very little about what I was going to see and went because somehow I had the notion it was about the end of the world. Quite the opposite. This documentary asks how do we save the world and ourselves. When it was over I felt like a slightly different person. The glass is 51% full now. Now if I can make this feeling last another 50 years I'm be golden.

The science part of the film isn't as long as other topics but it does something I've never seen discussed at it talks about love in not just Darwin's terms but in the lab as well. Does the heart control the brain? Are we connected by forces we can almost see but can't even come close to explaining? You are curious now, I know you are.

But if you live in Kodiak the odds of seeing this in the theater are as good as Joe Miller beating Obama in 2012. When it goes to DVD I may repost this.

Blog Archive