1.15.2010

Bonus Bar Coverage: The Return of Downtown




I decided to take time from my busy schedule to test Bus Route 28 from my padded cell at The Center of the Universe to Qwest Field aka The REAL Center of the Universe. As I walked down the hill I saw the bus from a block and a half away stop and pull off when I was across the street so my adventure would have to wait 25 minutes.

My actual objective was to find the AlaskaUSA branch downtown to make my car payment and then an AT&T store to do the same for my cell phone so I'm not cut off from the universe. I got off the bus on 7th and Battery a few blocks east of the bank and delayed the other bill in favor of a trip to the Seahawks Pro Shop to see what jerseys are on sale and thus a clue to who might not be around next season. Not looking good for you Patrick Kerney and Julius Jones. Yer 50% off.




But before I went inside I noticed a massive piece of art on the side of the stadium in the shape of a soccer scarf. It was made out of green and white names of all the first season season ticket holders. And guess who's name is on there? Usually you have to be dead to get on a display like this so it was a lil creepy but I'm not complaining either.

The new green jerseys were begging me to place a custom order but that will have to wait until mo money is coming in than out. If that ever happens. The new Sounders gear was now including a sharp white jersey that is just fan wear but looks better than the blue uni they rarely wear.

I hit the other stores of a similar breed across the street and finished the block by poking my head in the bar at the Silver Cloud hotel just to see if they really did have a deep fried hot dog on the menu. They do. $9. Nyet.



While cutting across the bricks where 2nd would be I found an old friend was back in a new location. SWANNIE'S SPORTS BAR was back from the dead and now in the Fenix Underground spot. They even had the comedy club set up downstairs and all the barely comfortable wood booths for two from the original bar in there. I forgot to look for Bill the Beer Man's construction helmet but I'm sure I'll be back. The bartended encouraged me to go downstairs and check it out. The place is still the ultimate earthquake death trap while watching the next Dane Cook or equally unfunny wannabe comedian. They added a pool table to the platform above the bar.

A minute after I left and rounded the corner back to 1st I witnessed a second resurrection. THE J&M was OPEN! There were balloons outside so I crossed the street to peak at the excitement. As it turns out this was the first day it was open under the new ownership and looked a lot like it did before but brighter and cleaner. There was a brand new staff still pulling booze out of booze out of boxes and trying to figure out where things are. I grabbed a menu but didn't stay. My head still hurt from my adventure Thursday night with Chef Boy at Luau's which I could probably never find on my own. All you need to know is we live in a Rodmocracy and only five people knows what that means (besides free drinks from a very passionate Seattle sports fan named Rod).

Finally I found the cell company and paid my bill at an electric kiosk at Pacific Place which has a cineplex on the top floor. I really had no intention of seeing a movie but Book of Eli was playing so I reached for my wallet. Then I noticed Avatar was also playing and in 3D so I told Denzel to take a seat on the pinewood, I'm going with the extra D.

Very good. I give it an 8 out of 10, maybe 8.5. And I was sexually attracted to the flat chested blue chick despite her Manute Bol length. Lots of side boobage in this movie. 8.5 it is! I heard on the radio that there was a sex scene cut out but it will be in the DVD. Yummy. Still, the Iron Man 2 trailer was my favorite part of my time there and they got me with the refillable large popcorn which even I wasn't able to finish.

Dehydrated from the past 24 hours and more popcorn than Orville himself I decided to go home instead of kickin' it. On my way back to my Bus 28 I finally found Little Darlings next to what used to be Jerseys, a sports bar from 90's past. I was having De Ja Vu. Not really, I just wanted to go home. Fred Meyer shopping would end my Friday night rather than a parade of strippers.


Blog Archive