2.01.2009

Orpheum Update: Yes Man (No, man)


Lord Stanley, what a weekend. From every bar downtown on Friday to accidentally drinking with Dark Yellow on Saturday to Super Bowl Sunday it all finished with a trip to Rusty's Playhouse for the latest Jim Carrey offering, Yes Man. Since everyone I asked to come along gave me the stiff arm I flew solo downtown. I should have asked my dad to go since we had a day of football together, keep the bond going. But I didn't. And seconds before the movie started he walked in and sat down on the other side of the theater and I felt like a jerk.

And I feel like a bigger jerk for thinking this was going to be a good film. I think Carrey's best days are behind him, like Edge James. Basically he plays a guy who gets sucked into a self-improvement movement/seminar and it goes slowly from there. Not sure what to call it. Not really a chick flick. Not much of a comedy. I thought about walking out most of the movie and actually did cut out the last five or ten minutes so Dad wouldn't see me. I'd rather watch the GI Joe and Star Trek ads from the Super Bowl on a loop for 90 minutes than have seen this movie.

But the stupid movie did remind me of a book given to me by the mysterious Wendi Bell years ago called Who Moved My Cheese. Its been on mind lately. A lot of schmitt has however this is not the place for that.

And now a confession. I saw Bolt, Madagascar 2, and Bedtime Stories in December and didn't do a write up. The-Job-I-Can't-Talk-About flicks as usual. Mad 2 sucked, the other two were OK.

Blog Archive