8.18.2008

Quickie: Drinking Age

Everyone is running this story about the 100 college presidents coming together to call for lowering the drinking age from 21 to 18 with the predictable outcry from MADD and then backlash from Drunks Against Mad Mothers. I'm sure we've heard all the arguments for and against. Here are mine and yes, this is why it is "Members Only".

Will there be more death on the highways if they drop the age? Yes. Being in Kodiak, this doesn't bother me statistically speaking. It should be legal to drink and drive between 1am and 5am if you go 25mph or under in my opinion. If caught during the other 20 hours? 45 days in jail, no license for six months. Or a sliding scale based on what you blow. Score a borderline .08? Slap on the wrist. Get in the high teens? Lose a finger. Carolyn Floyd should be doing a Drunk Bike campaign to promote carbon free pedal power to and from the mall. We need leadership.

I don't like 18 as the age because that is still high school. I'd push 19 like our Canadian cousins to the east. I really don't want 19 year olds in the bar when I really think about it but they'd all be at The Mecca and I'd never see them. EVER.

I'll leave Hempfest to Dr. Bobert "Foot Long" Johnson. He likes Subway. And maybe weed. Click the first link to the Mary Jane story but this was my favorite part:

Police monitored the situation -- at one point separating a preacher and another man who were in a heated argument -- but said the preachers had a right to be there because the park was a public place.

A Hempfest leader said the protesters show up each year and added that a group of transsexuals were en route to frighten off the preachers, something that also takes place each year.

93 Rainiers left.

Blog Archive