8.26.2008

Kodiak Library

I hate saying that first "r", never sounds right the right way. You know what is fun to say? A. Holmes Johnson. Has that disticnt barrio-gangsta ring to it. As Flavor Flav told me 20 years ago...its where they bury the lies!

Today I got an invite of sorts to add input on a possible new library here in town. As a non-reader I might not be the best person to ask about such a project but whateva. I can create an opinion where none existed. As a child I spent a lot of time there because my Mom would go there with Lil Nicky in tow while Dad was at sea or running from polar bears on The Slope. The black leather ottoman benches were so cool. If I go there today it is to read a magazine I'm too cheap to buy but once again you can find most of the content on-line. The person they should be asking about a design is my sister since she worked there many moons ago.

Usually news about this involves the current one moving up the hill a smidge into the present post office building. The light and heating might be a major BIATCH in there so I kind of like the idea of starting from scratch with a self-powered design. The usual players; wind, geothermal, solar, super insulated, long johns, etc. One site I'd propose is in the south end of East Addition Park where the never used fitness course and equally neglected volleyball courts are. Its a quiet neighborhood, the city already has the property, plus it would already be ringed with nice other -than-Spruce trees. Being far from the BROTHER Francis Shelter and canneries it might smell better too. I didn't say that.

In 2008 we must ask how the hell still utilizes books for research and entertainment? Bets me. I think this makes a new library a hard sell so it would have to be a lot of things with perhaps a hardcover warehouse as the last feature.

- Computers: I'd say this is the current main attraction and as wi-fi spreads more folks will have their own laptops I'd venture to guess so I'm not sure what kind of set up in five years would be needed. Maybe the computers could have expensive programs most people wouldn't want to pay for or steal.

- Music: Once again you can find so much on via Ted Tubes or iTunes it doesn't make much sense to stockpile the place with CDs. I once read in England the community center had musical equipment for use like synths and drum machines. A recording studio would kick arse. Not traditional library schmitt I know.

- Art: Everything has to have some public art in it these days and I'm clueless how the do this. If there is a kids wing I'd have every elementary class have a week to post the crap they fingerpainted and still it on the wall to please the McDonald (not McDonlad's) types. Outside: a graffiti wall. Like the music, an art room would be great addition. Even a wood shop. It might be better to just build a community library into a new high school and give the public some access to the KHS fun stuff.

- Community Room: Something nice enough for a wedding reception or prom so the Elks and Golden Wanker aren't the only options.

- Martime Museum: This could go where the old library is. In fact they could tear down the old part and save the kiddy wing for the inside displays with an old boat or public use gear shed on the site of the old building so tourists could watch salty bastards mend net and pots.

- Dedicated Fantasy Football Draft War Room: Self-explanatory.

Another concept Kodiak Rental Center might not like is to loan out things other than books and DVDs like tools, bikes, and kitchenware. Say you are having a party at yer penthouse and need another blender. Go to the library. This think-like-a-village concept might not sit well with think-like-a-city voters and reps just like my legalize hitchhiking idea.

I can't picture this getting off the ground in these times of rising costs and with so many other projects floating around. Good luck, Friends of Kodiak Library or whatever yer called.


Blog Archive