Well I managed to survive one whole hour without power and I have some observations.
1. The house was noticeably quieter with the refrigerator and computer off. I never pay attention to the faint sounds they both emit but once they are eliminated it gets spooky. I'm one of those people that sleep better with some white noise. When I fished in The Bay the Perkins diesel engine was my idea of a lullaby.
2. Of all my bills the KEA one never shocks me. Last month it was about 80 bucks but my goals is to get in back under fifty if that is humanly possible. I'm going to use some of the Rickles money I got to get some fancy energy saving light bulbs.
3. It isn't that dark at 8pm now so....
4. ....I wonder if there will be a Earth Hour Baby Boom across the planet and will Trojan advertise harder (pun intended) leading up to this next March.
5. Or will this be done more often and for longer time frames. say, two hours on the first of every month? Idunno.
6. I took a few minutes trying to figure out what uses the most power in my home. I'd say my furnace is at least 25% of the bill and the same for my fridge. I've toyed with the idea of using picnic coolers in the winter and filling them with snow keeping the big white appliance unplugged like Jack Bennett until summer. That's a tad on the hardcore treehugger side but what the hell.
7. I assume my clothes dryer is around 20%. It has been said all the clothes dryers in America equal one nuclear power plant.
8. Lights and my computer would be the rest. Soon we won't need lights for four months. If I had the money I'd love to get a solar panel generator from Kensolar for my office set-up and run all that stuff off the sunlight behind the Alderwood Penthouse plus have it for back-up electroness should Ma Nature take out the main line.
9. It is kinda dark by 8:30pm. I whipped out my wind up flashlight, one of my favorites. It was brought to my attention last year that I have a flashlight fetish. This is true. Gloves are my other weakness. I love gloves, especially wool liners. I wear #4's.

10. Wolfboy joined me for some cold ones during the historic event. In an unusually mature and adult turn we discussed Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs and the recession. My recreation professor at Humboldt pounded Maslow into our heads every semester and is the only intelligent thing I recall from college 15 years later. Here's a question; if there is a "first world" and a "third world", why isn't there a "second world"? I say 'Merica is on the verge of becoming a "second world".
After that we went to the Bar That Is Little and had $1.25 Miller Chills that make Tequiza actually seem appealing. That might be the cheapest price for a beer in a local pub I have seen in my 15 years of crawling the mall. This could set off a beer war. Cross yer fingers.
2. Of all my bills the KEA one never shocks me. Last month it was about 80 bucks but my goals is to get in back under fifty if that is humanly possible. I'm going to use some of the Rickles money I got to get some fancy energy saving light bulbs.
3. It isn't that dark at 8pm now so....
4. ....I wonder if there will be a Earth Hour Baby Boom across the planet and will Trojan advertise harder (pun intended) leading up to this next March.
5. Or will this be done more often and for longer time frames. say, two hours on the first of every month? Idunno.
6. I took a few minutes trying to figure out what uses the most power in my home. I'd say my furnace is at least 25% of the bill and the same for my fridge. I've toyed with the idea of using picnic coolers in the winter and filling them with snow keeping the big white appliance unplugged like Jack Bennett until summer. That's a tad on the hardcore treehugger side but what the hell.
7. I assume my clothes dryer is around 20%. It has been said all the clothes dryers in America equal one nuclear power plant.
8. Lights and my computer would be the rest. Soon we won't need lights for four months. If I had the money I'd love to get a solar panel generator from Kensolar for my office set-up and run all that stuff off the sunlight behind the Alderwood Penthouse plus have it for back-up electroness should Ma Nature take out the main line.
9. It is kinda dark by 8:30pm. I whipped out my wind up flashlight, one of my favorites. It was brought to my attention last year that I have a flashlight fetish. This is true. Gloves are my other weakness. I love gloves, especially wool liners. I wear #4's.

10. Wolfboy joined me for some cold ones during the historic event. In an unusually mature and adult turn we discussed Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs and the recession. My recreation professor at Humboldt pounded Maslow into our heads every semester and is the only intelligent thing I recall from college 15 years later. Here's a question; if there is a "first world" and a "third world", why isn't there a "second world"? I say 'Merica is on the verge of becoming a "second world".
After that we went to the Bar That Is Little and had $1.25 Miller Chills that make Tequiza actually seem appealing. That might be the cheapest price for a beer in a local pub I have seen in my 15 years of crawling the mall. This could set off a beer war. Cross yer fingers.