2.19.2008

I'll Take That: Environmental Correctness

Granma put out a front page release (last week) of their intention to cover topics that effect the environment here in Kodiak. The story is titled What If Kodiak Was An Island? Kind of like What If Peyton Won A Super Bowl but I get it. I'm willing the bet the new addition has something to do with the sustainability group that popped up last year. Maybe The B.Lund Bombshell or one of her henchmen are a member but all kidding aside I think this is a good start to changing our dirty ways around here. Raise yer hand if you are familiar with Smokey's Dump? I've slowly began recycling more and more at home. I was actually proud when I made a container just for tin. Someone asked me how you tell aluminum and tin apart. Easy. Tin hurts more when someone throws a can at you.

Plastic can be confusing when there is no little number thang on the object. I'd like to know more about the different types of plastics and why they are different.

Anywho, I had an idea. Recycling gets a lot of attention but Reusing and Reducing not so much. My suggestion is to reduce the amount of paper the Kodiak Daily Mirror uses. Yes, they switched to a soy ink years ago, a good step (except I started growing boobs when I worked there) but I say we save some trees and stop printing on paper entirely. It is 2008! All newspapers are on-line now and in many cases you can read the news for free and before it comes out of the printing press. The local paper tends to have their edition on the web by 3pm, that's before yer worthless paperboy gets home from school. Of course they'd have to upgrade their site since it lacks basics such as color photos and archives that go back more than two weeks. They also would need to add In The Courts so I know who tried to drive home from Bernie's at 3am and could have plowed into a bus full of snotty children. There's another environmentally correct idea. Let people drive home drunk between 2am and 3am. You can get anywhere in Kodiak in 20 minutes and I'm sure they'd do it in less than 12. This way, if they make it in one piece, they don't have to take a second gas burning trip back downtown to get their car. I'M SAVING THE PLANET HERE PEOPLE, LISTEN THE F-WORD UP!

Back to the Reflector, have you even seen the rolls of newspaper downstairs? They look like Godzilla's Charmin rack for his giant reptile crack.

I've heard others ask this and I will too; how can we recycle some of the things we toss here without Threshold shipping them away? And glass? They don't take glass. What do we do with glass? How about this? We might need it if the ocean levels rise.

Another island, Iceland, has a national goal of eliminated the use of fossil fuels by 2050 (?) and I think we should keep an eye on their methods. Could we see sailing commercial fishing boats in Alaskan waters again like the studs in Bristol Bay in the early 1900's?

People say I'm full of compost so I should look into how I could help in that area too.

Blog Archive