I've been calling for an end to ComFish for more than a few years and it seems I'm not the only one according to the far-from-scientific poll in The Baranof Enquirer (see below). They ran a story last Friday on a meeting downtown discussing the future of the event when the Girl Scouts selling cookies are a bigger draw than any marine-oriented vendor. I exaggerate, see the 2007 vendors here. Must be some major cash in Thin Mints and Samoas if they can afford a $900 booth unless they have a non-profit rate (which should apply to most local businesses these days). If fishermen want to see the latest gadgets (or a human female) up close and personal they can go on-line or to Fish Expo in Seattle. I agree the forums should continue in some fashion but the booths are tired and done. The worst part is I'll actually have to buy pens and pencils now. Maybe a Career Fair or Job Fair would be a good substitute or something allowing local employers to show off a bit. A Mental Health Fair wouldn't go over well but it seems we need one of those more than anything. I recall Dr. Bob (the anti-Dr. Evil) organized a Town Hall forum at the middle school in the 90's that covered all kinds of issues and lil think-tank-for-a-day things, I'll love to see that again.
I'll save my extreme displeasure with the Crab Festival for a later date but I'll say it too has seen better days and needs a revamp wit' the quickness.
I'll save my extreme displeasure with the Crab Festival for a later date but I'll say it too has seen better days and needs a revamp wit' the quickness.
KDM Poll as of Monday, October 1st. Don't ask me what ComBear is. I believe it has to do with sending the Mecca drummer to Cuba.
What should Kodiak do about ComFish?
Shift emphasis to scientific forums (22.02%)
![]() |
Cancel (47.71%)
![]() |
We need the space for ComBear (16.51%)

