9.14.2007

New Blog and Not Me

My good friend Keith has caught the blogspot bug (hartfortsucks.blogspot.com) and started a therapeutic venting site as I have done, following the footsteps of the mysterious St. Ishmael who lives in the woods on Spruce Island and eats missionaries for fiber. Keith and I grew up together in the hood off Mission Road, walking to freshman and JV basketball practice at 5:30am in high school to perfect our pine-warming skills. He's also the son of one of the boat owners of the Deadliest Catch vessels (not the homo-erotic F/V Time Bandit) and has backpacked the planet several times over. He's the last of my class click to slip one past the goalie and take the plunge, leaving me to fend for myself on Chickless Rock, AK with nothing but a pregnant sea lion in Dog Bay to give me hope for some spoonin'. There are problems in the Great Land a Leatherman can't fix, this is one of them. Anywho, "Howie" asks what are the best and worst places readers have lived so here is my list.

Best to worst
1. Kodiak, AK
2. South Lake Tahoe, CA/NV
3. Seattle, WA
4. San Diego, CA
5. Humboldt Country-Arcata, CA
6. Kodiak, AK

Having spent 15 months (one at a time) in Naknek I should give honorable mention to that tiny western Alaska community. Nicknakpattiwack is between Seattle and San Diego I guess. One day I'll get in gear and write the Tender Moments piece about my two weeks there this past summer.

Blog Archive