I just reviewed the Baranof Enquirer's Top Ten local news stories for the past year and I'm alright with most of them except for two points. Here's the order of events as ranked by the few remaining employees at the paper.10. Servant Air crash
9. Summerall verdict
8. iPads come to Kodiak Schools
7. Near Island development takes off
6. Curbside trash pickup negotiated, debuts
5. Tanner crab bycatch
4. Three-way Senate race captivates community
3. Chiniak logging resumes
2. STP-S26 reaches orbit
1. City unionization ballot measure fails again
My main problem is the trail for the murder of Darrell Cavaness wasn't in the top three. Murder is so rare here and this was a case that I didn't think would ever get resolved. If it was some big shot real estate dealer or Bosley or Carolyn Floyd's pet cat it would have got more attention than a simple guy with MS.
My other issue with this article is the iPads thing. Kids getting fa -wording oversized iTouch comes in higher than a solved and convicted murder? Hecks, Jock of the Rock lasting four years is a bigger story than the school district dropping fat cheese Steve Jobs' way. And I like Apple. Maybe if the point is waste. I estimate they are going to spend a MILLION bucks this year on MacBooks and more iPads. 842 MacBooks @ $999 and 222 iPads @ $499 based on regular retail prices. Holy schmitt! Maybe I don't know the whole story here but how many teachers could you hire for that much money? If Stewart drops by KMXT with a free iPad for me I'll shut up.
The girl who died in an equally rare as homicide car accident probably would have been in my top ten over the iPads but at the same time why upset the family and bring that up again. Small town standards.
The rest is OK. Maybe they can do an investigative report on why it is windiest every Tuesday when we have to put our green can on the curb. I'd also like to know how Lesnoi shareholders spent their $500 they got for wiping out half of Chiniak. I made more money waiting 20 years for Exxon's spill to be resolved and I didn't think I was getting anything.
My other issue with this article is the iPads thing. Kids getting fa -wording oversized iTouch comes in higher than a solved and convicted murder? Hecks, Jock of the Rock lasting four years is a bigger story than the school district dropping fat cheese Steve Jobs' way. And I like Apple. Maybe if the point is waste. I estimate they are going to spend a MILLION bucks this year on MacBooks and more iPads. 842 MacBooks @ $999 and 222 iPads @ $499 based on regular retail prices. Holy schmitt! Maybe I don't know the whole story here but how many teachers could you hire for that much money? If Stewart drops by KMXT with a free iPad for me I'll shut up.
The girl who died in an equally rare as homicide car accident probably would have been in my top ten over the iPads but at the same time why upset the family and bring that up again. Small town standards.
The rest is OK. Maybe they can do an investigative report on why it is windiest every Tuesday when we have to put our green can on the curb. I'd also like to know how Lesnoi shareholders spent their $500 they got for wiping out half of Chiniak. I made more money waiting 20 years for Exxon's spill to be resolved and I didn't think I was getting anything.