It has got to the point I've almost forgot how to use Blogger. I was participating in several secret two-day missions on the Fayette here in Kodiak last month August. I can't tell you where I was. I can't tell you what we did. It was like having an unmarked black helicopter for a spotter pilot. All I can say is Obama was totally unaware of our actions...OPERATION: H.U.M.P.I.
Saturday, July 11, 2009
IGUS- We have a mere 6000 pounds and looking back it seems the run was early this year. Might want to consider that before buying a plane ticket next year...if there is a next year. Hell, I didn't think I'd be here this time but the Job-I-Can't-Talk-About could manage without me.
Horse flies. Everywhere. RAID!
Dead horse flies. Everywhere.
The F/V "So-Ahhhhhugly" ties to use to give us some ice and Shwanee and I admire this lovely limit seiner with all the fixings. It makes the Fay seems a lil twerpish when side by side.
First Dude is our highliner for the day so far.
The German guy is still trying to be funny but he still annoys the hell out of me. Nazi f-tard.
Palin returns with Piper who doesn't say a word. Must get that from her father's side.
Shwanee proposes we stage a fight with each other to freak out the setnetters so they won't loiter. I can't even keep a straight face discussing it and the idea is shot.
I cut off my beard with some clippers instead in a step towards the civilized world. I used to write paragraphs and now you get a bunch of lines. Damn you, Facebook. There goes my Pulitzer.
Sunday, July 12, 2009
So it is 5am and we are dockside doing the usual drill and Capt. Ron is up top. I motion to him to toss down the cocoa that's in a small box rather than lowering it on a rope. It goes off my fingertips and into the river, never to be seen again. Who am I, Jeraamy Stevens? DAMNITDAMNITDAMNIT! I never drop passes. I don't care if it is 5am. Maybe I should take a lap or drop and do 20. This is unacceptable.
Later I use the shovel-as-a-pillow technique to get some winks on deck and sleep off my butter fingers.
KDLG suuuuuucks on Sunday. Ice picks to the ears. It rivals KVOK for worst radio programming on the seventh day.
Lunch: Pizza and salmon
Dinner: Turkey Loaf
Will I ever see Egigik in my lifetime? Have I done my part for humanity? These are not related questions.
Monday, July 13, 2009
The end is here. We unload at 3am into Peter Pan like a late pop singer with one glove and stay there. Shwanee and I score a cannery breakfast at the mess hall before tackling a mast cleaning to remove all the soot and exhaust crap that is tarnishing the vessel's good looks. Not a fun chore and borderline the most work we've done the entire trip. I follow that with a laundry run while Capt and Son attempt to repair the refrigeration. The Erin and Ryan show tie up outside us and I board them like a Coastie with a chip on his shoulder to inspect their galley.
After that I head to the office with my bag and wait for a ride to the airport and around 10:30am I'm in a company van getting shuttled.
Game over, man. Game over.