Let's just say Seafair (pic above from Seattle PI today) on Lake Washington is just a little more entertaining than Hot August Night(s?) at the Rodeo Grounds which I skipped again this year. Yes, because I'm too cool. I went to Seafair a few years ago while down there to attend Brother J's wedding and check out the Seahawks in Cheney. Maybe the first time I'd been out of Alaska in July my entire life as far as I can remember (which is about two weeks back). Had I been down there this weekend I could have caught the scrimmage at Qwest too. Damnit.
But now I've been back at work a couple weeks and the thoughts that filled my head about leaving are cooling a bit, paralleling the economy. And I still can't decide where to defect to. Portland still is near the top of the list but I've added New Mexico to the mix. And I might be too country mouse now for city life again. Idunno, E. Since I was thinking of leaving on Bush's last day in office maybe I'll base my decision on who is elected in November. McCain I stay, Obama I go.
I spoke with a friend recently about this struggle to spring myself from the island for a while and he brought up something I keep hearing people say....if the world goes to Heck, this is the place to be. An ocean full or protein and a moderate climate/weak winters by Alaskan standards, a limited population isolated from the starving masses....huh? Sure, I've considered these end of 'Merica scenerios but when everyone else seems to be thinking the same thing, is the country that f-worded? Seriously, do people really think the nation is about to completely buckle and implode under its own greed and stupidity and is this something I should consider when looking at 48 time? Will Kodiak turn into Tyler Durden's dreamscape, Marion Owen will be planting rows of corn down the center of Rezonof, coastie wives will jump off the bridge in a mass suicide due to the fact they will never be able to return to The Shallow South, Ted Nugent will run against me for Mayor, the viking raid on Homer will become a monthly reality, and I will be the only person with a working scooter a la one solar panel. Hummmm. Probably not.
But now I've been back at work a couple weeks and the thoughts that filled my head about leaving are cooling a bit, paralleling the economy. And I still can't decide where to defect to. Portland still is near the top of the list but I've added New Mexico to the mix. And I might be too country mouse now for city life again. Idunno, E. Since I was thinking of leaving on Bush's last day in office maybe I'll base my decision on who is elected in November. McCain I stay, Obama I go.
I spoke with a friend recently about this struggle to spring myself from the island for a while and he brought up something I keep hearing people say....if the world goes to Heck, this is the place to be. An ocean full or protein and a moderate climate/weak winters by Alaskan standards, a limited population isolated from the starving masses....huh? Sure, I've considered these end of 'Merica scenerios but when everyone else seems to be thinking the same thing, is the country that f-worded? Seriously, do people really think the nation is about to completely buckle and implode under its own greed and stupidity and is this something I should consider when looking at 48 time? Will Kodiak turn into Tyler Durden's dreamscape, Marion Owen will be planting rows of corn down the center of Rezonof, coastie wives will jump off the bridge in a mass suicide due to the fact they will never be able to return to The Shallow South, Ted Nugent will run against me for Mayor, the viking raid on Homer will become a monthly reality, and I will be the only person with a working scooter a la one solar panel. Hummmm. Probably not.