In a rare move I actually went to a movie on opening night but this looked like my only chance to see it before leaving for THE BAY. In fact this was an all out affair as I joined Wolfboy and the Big Carrot on the balcony. Teenagers are the reason I don't go to the movies on Fridays or Saturdays. They scare me.After a couple months of avoiding previews it was time to see if Harrison Ford still has it or if humping Ally McBeal slowed him down. Right away something didn't seem right or maybe I should say looked the same. Perhaps the 1957 setting was too big a leap from the past films but whatever the case I felt like I was watching TV instead of a movie. And the villain wasn't that scary except in a grown man getting spanked wearing a diaper kind of way.
Blah blah blah, shot at a million times, not hit, jump off things, blah blah blah, old plane with red line on map, blah blah blah...oh no. They casted the Transformers kid? From that point on I just expected every car, truck, and plane to turn into a 78 foot robot. Spielberg could have easily made that character a bad girl and used Megan Fox instead if he wants to raid the recent blockbuster actors pile. Damnit.
By the halfway point I was ready for it to end and go next door to Anthony's Bar and No Grill. That could also be because I'm an alky, who knows. Now don't get me wrong, its a good movie, it just didn't have the magic of the past. Maybe I'm growing up. Someday I will have hair....down there.
So now I wonder if we will see Han Solo return to the silver screen. I have a feeling we will.