
My scooter arrived earlier in the week and now that I've got 20 miles on it I can give it a proper review. But first I'd like to thank Eric at Samson for the white glove treatment delivering the crated cycle to my doorstep.
Alrighty, when I got the title it listed the model as an EV1000 and not a Rally as I had ordered so the entire time waiting I wasn't sure if Buzz had sent me the wrong bike. It took me ten minutes to open the wooden box and I was afraid to peel back the cloth cover to see the front end thinking it would be the wrong model. Fear not, it was the correct one. The storage box on the back wasn't attached and I decided for now it will stay off the bike. The instruction manual isn't exactly the most detailed. It took me as long to figure out how to open the seat as it did to uncrate it. There is a breaker switch under the seat and to my surprise when I flipped it there was a full charge on the bike. I drove it up and down the driveway getting a feel for it. My neighbor was taken by how quiet it is. Hecker, it isn't quiet, it is f-wording silent.
The next day I went to DMV to figure out if I needed to register it. I was told no and then got a phone call saying yes so I had to go back the day after and wait in line an hour and fifteen minutes to get my plate. Mrs. McMurray has a very tough job. People must blow up there every single day.
Since insurance on it is relatively cheap I got some although I'm still not sure if I have to have it since there is no lien on it and it is considered a 49cc class bike.
The specs say it goes 30 mph and 30 miles max. When I tested it I thought I was going 34 but now realize that the speedo was set to kilometers per hour when I rode it in Seattle. I have hit 29mph going downhill but for the most part in likes going about 21 and tends to max about 26 on level ground. I wanted that 30mph plus for Mill Bay Road but I'm going to have to stick to Mission and Selief for the North-South runs. Ironically I now favor the 20mph speed limit on Selief now that I'm rollin' clean. Hills aren't kind and I have to be sure no one is behind me before attempting the larger ones. The range isn't that impressive at about 10 miles per charge. That will get me to work and back twice. I'm not sure if it is because the batteries might be old from sitting on the showroom for a long time or that I'm riding balls out a lot of the time but I think it should get me more like 20 miles per charge.
All in all, it isn't quite as good as I hoped but will still function fine as the meat-n-potatoes of my commuting this summer. After riding a bicycle for weeks I could have kept going on pedal power now that my legs are used to it but it is nice not being so sweaty and tired when I get to Point B. The Evader Rally also is helping me prep for a bigger bike someday like a Vectrix or even a gas motorcycle that in the past was what I like to call "scary".
Alrighty, when I got the title it listed the model as an EV1000 and not a Rally as I had ordered so the entire time waiting I wasn't sure if Buzz had sent me the wrong bike. It took me ten minutes to open the wooden box and I was afraid to peel back the cloth cover to see the front end thinking it would be the wrong model. Fear not, it was the correct one. The storage box on the back wasn't attached and I decided for now it will stay off the bike. The instruction manual isn't exactly the most detailed. It took me as long to figure out how to open the seat as it did to uncrate it. There is a breaker switch under the seat and to my surprise when I flipped it there was a full charge on the bike. I drove it up and down the driveway getting a feel for it. My neighbor was taken by how quiet it is. Hecker, it isn't quiet, it is f-wording silent.
The next day I went to DMV to figure out if I needed to register it. I was told no and then got a phone call saying yes so I had to go back the day after and wait in line an hour and fifteen minutes to get my plate. Mrs. McMurray has a very tough job. People must blow up there every single day.
Since insurance on it is relatively cheap I got some although I'm still not sure if I have to have it since there is no lien on it and it is considered a 49cc class bike.
The specs say it goes 30 mph and 30 miles max. When I tested it I thought I was going 34 but now realize that the speedo was set to kilometers per hour when I rode it in Seattle. I have hit 29mph going downhill but for the most part in likes going about 21 and tends to max about 26 on level ground. I wanted that 30mph plus for Mill Bay Road but I'm going to have to stick to Mission and Selief for the North-South runs. Ironically I now favor the 20mph speed limit on Selief now that I'm rollin' clean. Hills aren't kind and I have to be sure no one is behind me before attempting the larger ones. The range isn't that impressive at about 10 miles per charge. That will get me to work and back twice. I'm not sure if it is because the batteries might be old from sitting on the showroom for a long time or that I'm riding balls out a lot of the time but I think it should get me more like 20 miles per charge.
All in all, it isn't quite as good as I hoped but will still function fine as the meat-n-potatoes of my commuting this summer. After riding a bicycle for weeks I could have kept going on pedal power now that my legs are used to it but it is nice not being so sweaty and tired when I get to Point B. The Evader Rally also is helping me prep for a bigger bike someday like a Vectrix or even a gas motorcycle that in the past was what I like to call "scary".