4.22.2008

Wheel Cool Sh...Stuff: Earth Day EV Rally

15 minutes ago I made a purchase I've been planning to make for some time; an electric vehicle. Years ago when I "ran" for mayor I showed a picture of a red Dynasty four-door I test drove but in the end I couldn't justify buying a car for that much that was limited on speed and questionable heating abilities in the winter. A scooter on the other hand is affordable. Its a start.

I test drove the Evader EV Rally last fall at MC Electric Vehicles in Seattle and thought it would be perfect for tooling around within city limits from April to October. When I called MCEV last week they said they only had a yeller one. Yuck. However, they also have a store in Portland (ask for Buzz) and sure enough they had the color I was willing to part money for and not only that they sold it to me for $300 less than the Seatown shop. Awesome!

I wish it was made in 'Merica but it is in fact made in China. Spec it out.

Dimensions L/W/H180mm/680mm/1150mmTwo Toned Leather Seating
Wheel Base1270mmEPIC Technology
Tire/Rim Size120/70 12inchRear Storage Box
Weight (With Batteries)176lbs/80kg (312/142kg 45AH)Digital Dashboard
MotorDC Brush 1,000 Watt - 48 VoltReal-Time Ammeter
Max Speed30 mph, 50 km/hAutomatic Safety Seat Cut-Off Switch
Max Range30 mph, 50 km/hAutomatic Dashboard Light Sensors
Battery LifeTwo yearsMobile Phone Indicator
Battery Type4x12v 45AH Sealed Lead Acid GelHyper Drive Boost Button
Charging Time2-6 hrs (Initial Charge Up to 12 hrs)
Voltage ChargerSingle Or Duel 110/220v AC, 50/60 HZ
Front BrakeDisc
Rear BrakeDrum

It is classified like a 49cc moped and when I zoomed around the Goodwill parking lot next door I hit 34mph on the speedo.

I plan to have it sent up on Samson Tug-N-Barge and be taking it to work by the 15th of May if all goes well.

By coinkidink today happens to be Earth Day and it gives me great joy to know I'll be sticking it to Exxon & Friends this summer. In time I hope to get a solar panel charging system for the bike that will double as an emergency K.E.A. is M.I.A. back-up power source during the winter when using petro in A to B mode.

I'm also considering parting ways with my wonderful Subaru. I have an opportunity to get a cheap car for winter and could use the money that goes towards my car payment every month for other things (heat). Plus I have a theory that it might be a good time to unload a gas powered car now because in just a few short years they may become impossible to sell as new technologies replace the internal combustion engine. Who knows? FYI: I have barely used my car since the 4th of the month, riding my "sober bike" to work all but three days in the last two and half weeks. My knees ARE KILLING ME! It only takes 12 minutes and in that time I have built Legs of Lance, conquering massive 40 foot hills in medium gear.

"drunk bike" story to come another day.

Blog Archive