2.19.2008

ROXSOAPBOX: I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!


Because that my friends is probably all we are going to get. If that. The latest news on the Exxon oil spill settlement couldn't come at a more dark and dreary time. Island morale is low (and so is Anchorage's now). We've waited 19 years for this thing to finish so maybe they could wait until its warmer out when they break the bad news. Maybe a press conference at Crab Festival something like this...

"Sorry Alaskans but yall got zip. But hey, we waited until it was 56 degrees and overcast outside. Have a nice day. Now f-word off and fill up yer pick'em up truck, BITCHOLAS!"

Hell, why not make a decision next year and make it an even 20. Kids graduating high school weren't even born when Hazelnutz was chuggin' 40s and combing the sea for the rocks like a Dutch Harbor crackwhore. Reef, rocks, whateva. I wonder what he is doing these days? He's still alive, right?

Anyway, I had some free time and was Goggling my day away trying to figure out how much money I wasn't going to get. No luck. I did find out there are something like 51 categories of claims a person/straight up mofo island gangsta could fall into but I was unable to find a list of these divisions. Help. Me. I've never had a clue as to want kind of money might be headed my way and probably shouldn't even dream about it at this point while it pours outside and flirts with a few degrees above freezing. Paying off a credit card was my plan as well as getting that electric scooter so I can stick it to Bush's buttbuddies. I'd invest the rest or use it to open a Subway in Cuba before Dan and Jared can set up shop there.

Another disappointment is I so wanted to see people go ape $#!t crazy with their money. You know some guy would buy a truck jacked up so high it would hit the Near Island Bridge on Mission Road. I'd even consider selling drugs for a month after the direct deposit clears although the same crazies who are in line for the cheese have probably slowed down since 1989. Maybe I'd be selling HGH and Bluebombers instead of herb and cane. Too bad Clemen's wife didn't work a Prince William Sound setnet site back then, I'd make a killing.

Another effect would be if people used the money to relocate. Take the money and run. Would this actually hurt Kodiak more than help if there was a mass migration outta here of permit holders and longtimers.

Blog Archive