
Since I sucked harder than a backstage pass at a Wham! concert picking NFL games this year on www.jockoftherock.com I don't have much to lose attempting to conquer Hollywood. I'm not sure if this is harder than winning an Iditarod pool but it sure is less manly. My goal this year is to get 20% or more correct and not get attacked by a dog. Ironically I'm watching the show at the home of the beast that savagely went after me just because I stood up too fast when they showed Jessica Alba.
Best Actor
George Clooney, Michael Clayton
Daniel Day-Lewis, There Will Be Blood
Johnny Depp, Sweeney Todd
Tommy Lee Jones, In the Valley of Elah
Viggo Mortensen, Eastern Promises
Nick's Pick: Mortensen. He's come a long way since his cross country career at Kodiak High School and I liked Hidalgo.
Best Supporting Actor
Casey Affleck, Assassination of Jesse James
Javier Bardem, No Country for Old Men
Philip Seymour Hoffman, Charlie Wilson's War
Hal Holbrook, Into the Wild
Tom Wilkinson, Michael Clayton
Nick's Pick: Not f-wording Affleck. I hate ducks. Hoffman. Despite blowing the save in the one game playoff vs. the Rockies I think he can close this deal. And I liked Capote.
Best Actress
Cate Blanchett, Elizabeth: The Golden Age
Julie Christie, Away from Her
Marion Cotillard, La Vie En Rose
Laura Linney, The Savages
Ellen Page, Juno
Nick's Pick: Huh? I've heard of Cate but as for the field I'm clueless. I'll go with Page.
Best Supporting Actress
Cate Blanchett, I'm Not There
Ruby Dee, American Gangster
Saoirse Ronan, Atonement
Amy Ryan, Gone Baby Gone
Tilda Swinton, Michael Clayton
Nick's Pick: Blanchett going for the cycle? I'll go with Swinton since I saw Michael Clayton. Wasn't as good as Rambo.
Best Picture
Atonement
Juno
Michael Clayton
No Country for Old Men
There Will Be Blood
Nick's Pick: Juno. Yer my girl Sarah P, rock on!
Best Director
Julian Schnabel, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Jason Reitman, Juno
Tony Gilroy, Michael Clayton
Coen Brothers, No Country for Old Men
Paul Thomas Anderson, There Will Be Blood
Nick's Pick: Coen 1 and 2. Hey, they have twice the chances.
Best Foreign Film
Beaufort, Israel
The Counterfeiters, Austria
Katyn, Poland
Mongol, Kazakhstan
12, Russia
Nick's Pick: Is Mongol how they say Borat? I'm going with 12. It is about a Ukrainian kid who moves to Washington and becomes a huge Seahawks fan. I laughed. I cried.
Best Animated Film of the Year
Persepolis
Ratatouille
Surf's Up
Nick's Pick: Ratatouille. I was in Naknek when this came to Kodiak but everyone said it was good. No Bee Movie?
Achievement in Art Direction
American Gangster
Atonement
The Golden Compass
Sweeney Todd
There Will Be Blood
Nick's Pick: What kind of weak arse award is this? I'll take The Golden Compass for 800, Alex.
Achievement in Cinematography
The Assassination of Jesse James
Atonement
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
No Country for Old Men
There Will Be Blood
Nick's Pick: Aren't all these awards achievements in cinematography? Ummmm. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. Sounds like the only non-violent film of the five and peace is in right now.
Achievement in Costume Design
Across the Universe
Atonement
Elizabeth: The Golden Age
La Vie En Rose
Sweeney Todd
Nick's Pick: Sweeney Todd. Depp only does it if he looks freaky deaky.
Best Documentary
No End in Sight
Operation Homecoming
Sicko
Taxi to the Dark Side
War/Dance
Nick's Pick: Sicko. It is an election year.
Best Original Score
Atonement
The Kite Runner
Michael Clayton
Ratatouille
3:10 To Yuma
Nick's Pick: Kite Runner. When Clooney does a virgin does he call it a best original score?
Best Original Song
Falling Slowly, Once
Happy Working Song, Enchanted
So Close, Enchanted
That's How You Know, Enchanted
TBA, August Rush
Nick's Pick: Falling Slowly. If any of the Enchanted songs win There Will Be Blood.
Achievement in Sound Editing
The Bourne Ultimatum
No Country for Old Men
Ratatouille
There Will Be Blood
Transformers
Nick's Pick: T R A N S F O R M E R S (making robot gear sounds)
Achievement in Sound Mixing
The Bourne Ultimatum

No Country for Old Men
Ratatouille
3:10 To Yuma
Transformers
Didn't I just do this one? Nick's Pick: T R A N S F O R M E R S
Best Visual Effects
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
The Golden Compass
Transformers
Nick's Pick: T R A N S F O R M E R S (making more and louder robot gear sounds)
Best Adapted Screenplay
Atonement
Away from Her
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
No Country for Old Men
Paul Thomas Anderson, There Will Be Blood
Nick's Pick: T R A N S F O R M E R S...wait. I don't know. Away From Her I guess. Sounds familiar.
Best Original Screenplay
Juno
Lars and the Real Girl
Michael Clayton
Ratatouille
The Savages
Nick's Pick: Juno. Did Juno I never saw this movie? Orange you glad I didn't say
T R A N S F O R M E R S