Although it is now eight years into the 21st Century I've yet to enter the world of MP3 and downloading music. There are several reasons.First is that about ten to twelve years ago I got into MD, or MiniDisc, a format popular with Sony that took over Japan and Europe but never caught on. I did this based on the idea that burning CDs wasn't going to happen. I wish I could find where I read that. KMXT actually utilized MD for a while for news gathering but never put a machine in the control booth which actually took away from my ability to do a show to my fullest potential since I had so much on the Spud Webb sized discs.
Second, as I've grown older I've lost a lot of interest in music. Once Techno Tuesdays ended I pretty much walked away and never looked back with the exception of SOAD releases. My interest in talk radio soon outweighed DJing and we all know how that turned out.
Plus I didn't want the pigs knocking down my door because I was on some Napster hit list and the iPods seemed expensive considering my scaled back interest in the "artform". I hate it when they describe popular music as art and worse is calling dumbarses like Spears "an artist" yet they describe the business as "the industry" and their music as "product". That doesn't sound like art to me, sounds more like GM talking talking about the new Malibu or Gates pitching Vista.
However I never want to be so far out of the tech loop I can't catch up and figured once the price was right I might jump back in. This week Apple dropped the price of the 1G Shuffle to under $50 and I made the leap. Considering I could fit 15 songs on a disc in my old portable MD player, 240 tracks seems like plenty. I bought it from Apple directly with their free shipping and free engraving, up to about 40 characters. I was going to have mine read JOHN JAMES RAMBO but had my e-mail address put on it instead (www.sandinyerface.com was also considered). BestBuy has them on sale for $2.50 less but since we live in Alaska the shipping was four thousand dollars.
But the real reason for this purchase is sometimes at the gym they play The Four Tops, CCR, even Smash Mouth. How am I supposed to push myself to my limits listening to a crappy remake of a crappy song like I'm A Believer? This little modern electronic wonder will be so full of death metal and gangsta rap there will be blood running out the USB ports of my VAIO and down the street (index finger and pinkie extended).
Since the Shuffle is tiny as well as cheap (favorite word) it seems perfect for the workout environment. In fact it seemed like 90% of the reviews I read were by people into fitness. Actually I'm not into fitness, I'm into extreme vanity, the fitness is just the main part of that. Don't judge me until you've walked in my retired international male supermodel shoes.
Second, as I've grown older I've lost a lot of interest in music. Once Techno Tuesdays ended I pretty much walked away and never looked back with the exception of SOAD releases. My interest in talk radio soon outweighed DJing and we all know how that turned out.
Plus I didn't want the pigs knocking down my door because I was on some Napster hit list and the iPods seemed expensive considering my scaled back interest in the "artform". I hate it when they describe popular music as art and worse is calling dumbarses like Spears "an artist" yet they describe the business as "the industry" and their music as "product". That doesn't sound like art to me, sounds more like GM talking talking about the new Malibu or Gates pitching Vista.
However I never want to be so far out of the tech loop I can't catch up and figured once the price was right I might jump back in. This week Apple dropped the price of the 1G Shuffle to under $50 and I made the leap. Considering I could fit 15 songs on a disc in my old portable MD player, 240 tracks seems like plenty. I bought it from Apple directly with their free shipping and free engraving, up to about 40 characters. I was going to have mine read JOHN JAMES RAMBO but had my e-mail address put on it instead (www.sandinyerface.com was also considered). BestBuy has them on sale for $2.50 less but since we live in Alaska the shipping was four thousand dollars.
But the real reason for this purchase is sometimes at the gym they play The Four Tops, CCR, even Smash Mouth. How am I supposed to push myself to my limits listening to a crappy remake of a crappy song like I'm A Believer? This little modern electronic wonder will be so full of death metal and gangsta rap there will be blood running out the USB ports of my VAIO and down the street (index finger and pinkie extended).Since the Shuffle is tiny as well as cheap (favorite word) it seems perfect for the workout environment. In fact it seemed like 90% of the reviews I read were by people into fitness. Actually I'm not into fitness, I'm into extreme vanity, the fitness is just the main part of that. Don't judge me until you've walked in my retired international male supermodel shoes.